Where Did Eggs Benedict Come From
So we can deduce that the dish probably originated in the big apple.
Where did eggs benedict come from. He owned 80 acres of waterfront land in greenwich connecticut. There are conflicting accounts as to the origin of eggs benedict. Benedict lived in new york where he was a yachtsman and banker. 1860s credit is given to delmonico s restaurant the very first restaurant or public dining room ever opened in the united states.
Legrand benedict finding nothing to her liking and wanting something new to eat for lunch discussed this with delmonico s chef charles ranhofer 1936 1899 ranhofer came up with eggs benedict. Or perhaps pope benedict who was originally from bavaria in. The restaurant s chef did include an eggs à la benedick in an 1894 cookbook but the true identity of benedict is lost to history. He has a recipe called eggs a la benedick eufa a la benedick in his cookbook called the epicurean published in 1894.
1942 in an interview in the new yorker lemuel benedict claims to have originated the dish with an order at the waldorf hotel hoping for a hangover cure. Montgomery wrote him a letter to say that eggs benedict originated with commodore e c. In the 1860 s a regular patron of the restaurant mrs. That location was where his estate indian harbor was constructed.
Historians give credit to two versions of the origin of eggs benedict. Who made the dish. Others report that the dish was invented in delmonico s restaurant in manhattan ny where the chef created a new dish for mr. 1967 craig claiborne writes in the new york times magazine that edward p.
There are a number of famous people with the name benedict. In the 1860 s a regular patron of the restaurant mrs. We ll probably never know the name of the chef who first cooked eggs benedict. Legrand benedict finding nothing to her liking and wanting something new to eat for lunch discussed this with delmonico s chef charles ranhofer 1836 1899.
Where did eggs benedict come from. Delmonico s in lower manhattan says on its menu that eggs benedict was first created in our ovens in 1860 one of its former chefs charles ranhofer also published the recipe for eggs à la benedick in 1894. Legrand benedict finding nothing to her liking and wanting something new to eat for lunch discussed this with delmonico s chef charles ranhofer 1936 1899 ranhofer came up with eggs benedict. In the 1860 s a regular patron of the restaurant mrs.
All of the most famous claims come from new york city. Some food experts trace eggs benedict back to pope benedict xiii in the 18th century who regularly enjoyed eggs and toast with a lemon sauce. Legrand benedict in the 1860s.
- I Rescued Her From Ohio Where Nobody Should Ever Be
- Ice Cream Flavor Personality Test
- Is It Bad To Force Shutdown Your Computer
- Is Eating A Lot Of Fish Bad For You
- How To Unshrink Cotton Pants
- Is White A Good Car Color
- Is Anytime One Or Two Words
- Ice Cream That Never Melts
- How To Treat Fleas Naturally
- How To Wash A Cat That Hates Water
- Is Long Distance Relationship Works
- Is It Traveled Or Travelled
- Instagram Weight Loss Before And After
- Is Ketogenic Diet Safe For Liver
- How Yo Get Water Out Of Your Ear
- Is The Moon Visible During The Day
- Interesting Fact About Queen Elizabeth Ii
- Is Blood Type O Positive Rare
- Inexpensive Places To Retire In The Us
- How To Work With A Micromanager