Why Do Cheap Rings Turn Fingers Green
The composition of 925 sterling silver lends itself to the occasional green discoloration because of the presence of copper.
Why do cheap rings turn fingers green. It s a common misconception that only cheap rings can turn your finger green. Turning your skin green isn t harmful however some people may experience somewhat of an allergic reaction. You might notice a ring around your finger if you were wearing a copper ring. Why do rings turn my finger green.
Unfortunately alloys containing copper and nickel can cause skin discoloration. Inexpensive rings commonly are made using copper or a copper alloy which reacts with oxygen to form copper oxide or verdigris which is green. At the end of the day green fingers are a common occurrence when you re a frequent ring wearer. Rings made from an alloy multiple metals combined rather than a pure metal are more prone to staining your finger.
A result of the acid in your skin mixing with the metal of the jewelry. If your skin is particularly acidic it can react with the alloy and also cause your skin to change color. Ask what a ring is made of before you buy it. Contrary to popular belief that cheap jewelry causes skin discoloration jewelry turns skin green as the result of a chemical reaction.
There are several metals that oxidize or react with your skin to produce a discoloration. Avoid copper sterling silver and other alloyed metals. Many people are allergic to nickel and an allergic reaction can cause your skin to turn green or black. Don t forget that green fingers are not necessarily a sign of cheap or low quality rings.
It s associated with cheapy rings because a lot of them are either copper which is the most common culprit or copper plated so the moment the covering metal rubs off and the copper comes through then you re got yourself an alien digit. Copper and copper alloys are the metals most likely to oxidize and turn green. When a ring turns your finger green it s either because of a chemical reaction between acids in your skin and the metal of the ring or because of a reaction between another substance on your hand such as a lotion and the metal of the ring. It s common for fashion jewelry to be made using the metal copper and many have a plating of a different metal on top.
However fine jewelry also can cause discoloration of your finger. It s not harmful and wears away a few days after you stop wearing the ring. You think a ring is an incredible accessory until you go to wash your hands and realize it s turned your whole finger green.
- What Can I Buy With A Stolen Credit Card
- What Goes First Conditioner Or Shampoo
- What Does The President Of The United States Get Paid
- What Happens If You Mix Vinegar And Baking Soda
- What Exotic Pet Should I Get
- What Does Sallow Skin Look Like
- What Do You Wash Your Car With
- What Does Your Lipstick Color Say About You
- What Do You Wear To A Semi Formal
- What Does A Healthy Cat Look Like
- What Does Chrome Incognito Do
- What Do You Call Baby Geese
- What Does It Mean When Your Dog Keeps Licking You
- What Can I Clean Silver With
- What Household Product Kills Weeds
- What Is A Incognito Tab
- What Does How You Sleep Say About You
- What Causes Dough To Rise
- What Internal Temperature For Chicken
- What Happens When You Drink Too Much Tea